Cold and Flu season if upon us, and as parents we don’t like to see our little ones sick. The cold or flu is essentially a viral infection, so antibiotics won’t work. The duration can last from 7-10 days with it peaking at day 3-4.
Infants and children under the age of 6 are more susceptible because their immune systems are not yet fully developed. On top of that children today are often exposed to many things that can weaken a child’s immune system as well. These may include too much processed foods, artificial colors, hydrogenated oils, an increase in sugary foods, and by eating foods to which they are sensitive to.
So what is a parent to do? How do we keep our kids healthy, without the use of harsh over-the-counter drugs and flu shots?!
4 Tips to Keep Your Kids Cold and Flu Free This Year…
1. Avoid refined sugar, sugary drinks (this includes fruit juices,unless juiced at home with organic fruits and veggies, the emphasis on VEGGIES) candies and soda. Cut back on the intake of processed foods, eat as much whole food as possible. DO NOT eat artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. These depress the immune system, causing children to become more susceptible to catching a cold or flu.
2. Have them take extra vitamin c and d, this helps to support the immune system. Echinacea is also effective, however be sure to find a glycerin based formula specifically for kids.
3. Homeopathy is highly effective as well. One of the best resources around is a book called “Your Vital Child” by Dr’s Mark and Angela Stengler, both Naturopathic Doctors based out of San Diego, California. I use this book often as a reference to whatever ails my kids.
4. Here’s a recipe for an All-Natural Antibiotic Tonic filled with herbs shown to have antiviral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-parasitical properties:
Here’s the Recipe for Your Own “Natural Antibiotic Tonic”:
- 1 part fresh chopped garlic
- 1 part fresh chopped Onion (white is preferred)
- 1 part fresh grated Ginger Root
- 1 part fresh grated Horseradish Root
- 1 part fresh chopped Cayenne Peppers or jalapeño peppers.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg’s Raw is the best choice)
Fill a glass jar 3/4 of the way full with equal parts by volume of the above fresh chopped and grated herbs. Then fill jar to the top with raw apple cider vinegar. Close and shake vigorously
Shake at least once a day for two weeks, and then filter the mixture through a clean piece of cloth, and store it in glass bottles. Make sure that when you make this tonic that you shake it every time you walk by it, a minimum of once per day. Remember that all the herbs and vegetables should be fresh (and organically grown if possible). You can use dried herbs, however only in an emergency.
This tonic is extremely powerful because all the ingredients are fresh, so the active ingredients in these herbs are more active.
The dosage is 1 or 2 ounces, two or more times daily.
Swish and swallow. (Don’t dilute with water.)
For ordinary infections, a dose taken 5-6 times a day will deal with most conditions. It can be used during pregnancies, is safe for children (use smaller doses) and as a food it is completely non-toxic.
Go ahead and make a large batch because it does not need refrigeration and it lasts indefinitely without any special storage conditions. I would like to thank The Healthy Herbalist for posting his tonic recipe and keeping us healthy all year long!
I have made this in much smaller batches for my family, if it is too strong for the kids you can always add a small drop of liquid stevia or raw honey to make it easier for them to swallow. Please note that honey is not recommended for children under one year of age.