The Dubai Can initiative wants to encourage people to stop using plastic water bottles to reduce the reliance on single-use plastic across Dubai. We can all start making a difference from our homes installing a filtration system and drinking filtered tap water.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Tap water is safe to drink in the UAE
- Local bottled water is tap water (read the label: “pure drinking water”)
- Plastic releases toxic chemicals and micro particles in the water
- BPA free bottles have another chemical that replaced BPA and we still don’t know the effects on our health
- Sodium levels in tap water are totally safe, Sodium free water is a marketing initiative to boost sales: sodium in water is measured in microns and does not have any influence on our health.
- If you are not sure about the quality of the water, always test your water to determine what type of filter you should use
- Tap water has minerals and even if you are worried about your daily intake just make sure you eat the right foods: water needs to hydrate you, what you eat will give you the right amount of minerals and vitamins.
- The PH of the local tap water is very good and alkaline
- Tap water costs a few fills per liter while a one-liter bottle of water costs at least 5aed… you actually pay for the plastic, the storage, the transportation and logistics
- Plastic lasts FOREVER, it never goes away
WHY A FILTER?
- Local authorities can only guaranty the quality of the water to the point of entrance of the property/building but not after: clean tanks and pipes depend on facility management and building owners.
- Water can contain some sand or extra chlorine that can be easily removed by a filter
- Water dispensers use plastic gallons that are used many times and are stored at very high temperatures and toxic chemicals leach into the water!
- Lab tests can help choose the right filter
- If you really want to drink mineral water, choose brands that sell in glass bottles.
- Lab tests should be done by certified independent laboratories approved by local authorities.
- Filter providers should recommend you to a third party to test the water.
- Avoid scam and don’t trust suppliers who add some chemical drops to your water and turn it brown to scare you and convince you to buy expensive filters.
- Filters should be regularly changed, at least once a year.
FIND A LIST OF SUPPLIERS HERE:
Individuals can install filtration systems at home for as low as 1.000aed! Contact Goumbook if you have any additional question, in the meantime you can find below a list of suppliers we have worked with and that are part of Dubai Can*.
- Culligan www.culligan.ae
- Ecosense www.ecosense.ae
- Eshara Water www.esharawater.com
- Infinity Water System www.infinitywatersystems.com
- Liquid of Life www.liquidoflife.net
- No more Bottles www.nomorebottles.ae
- Sky River Systems www.skyriversystems.com
- Source www.source.co
- Trust Your Water www.trustyourwater.ae
To test your water we recommend Core Lab, www.corelab.com
You Can, We Can, Dubai Can!
* All suppliers are welcome to join the campaign. If you are a supplier and if you want to be part of Dubai Can, you can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, we’d be happy to help you and we’ll send you more information about the technical requirements and the process to join.