The United Nations is celebrating its 75th anniversary this year. To mark this special occasion, the UN Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA) and Artivive are launching a call for artists to create posters about peacemaking and peacebuilding, which also utilize augmented reality technology.
The leading themes are “Futuring Peace”, “Bringing together those who have been fighting,” and “Creating a bridge across peoples in conflict zones”. Artists are invited to interpret and present their own vision of what peace means, based on the history of the UN’s actions.
- Contributors are asked to submit an A2 poster (420 x 594 mm / 16,5” x 23,4”) animated by using the augmented reality interface of Artivive.
- Up to two (2) artwork pieces can be submitted per artist.
- Group submissions by multiple artists or collectives are also permitted.
- Register for a free “artist account” on Bridge by Artivive
- Upload the animation along with the image of the poster to Bridge and fill out the “ARTWORK INFO” section (max. 250 characters)
- Use the form provided on this page to submit the image of the poster (for reviewing purposes) along with a concept explaining the idea behind of the work
An international jury comprised of UN representatives, the private sector, and artists will select the ten (10) best posters.
The selected posters will be printed and prominently displayed for one year in the main UN Secretariat Building in New York. They will also be displayed online on the Artivive website and by other media partners. The event will be covered by the UN’s official websites and social media channels in the six official UN languages.
The top three (3) artists of the poster call might be invited for a visit to the UN Headquarters in New York, including an art tour at the UN and official meetings with UN representatives (pending COVID-19 circumstances).
- Submissions starting: 7 April 2020
- Deadline: 31 July midnight (US EST)
- Announcement of the winners: 31 August
- Exhibition opening: September-October at UNHQ in New York (TBD)